We are looking for 10 local enterprises (or would-be enterprises) that want some help to propel themselves into the local economic stratosphere.
The Local Entrepreneurs Forum will be a powerful catalyst for a new kind of economy in Brixton and Lambeth – vibrant, future-appropriate, abundant. We will bring entrepreneurs, investors, and other change makers together to learn from each other, form new relationships, and hopefully, to begin working together on new enterprises. Local entrepreneurs will pitch to a Community of Dragons (ie everyone) to get investment and in kind support. Some of the businesses we are working with are here. This is a tried and tested model which Transition Town Totnes has done for 3 years. Read more here and view an inspiring short film here.
- LOCAL ENTERPRISE UPRISE event on Wednesday September 10, 6-9pm at the fabulous Impact Hub Brixton in the basement of Lambeth Town Hall. Local ‘transition enterprises’, including TTB projects will update, network and plan to be more than the sum of their parts.
- PLANNING MEETING for the LEF for partners and stakeholders, October 1, 5.30pm at the Impact Hub Brixton.
- LOCAL ENTREPRENEUR FORUM WARM-UP EVENT to start building the networks and creating the buzz, identifying enterprises who want to pitch and their support needs, Tuesday 25 November 6.30-9.30, Impact Hub Brixton, (beneath the Town Hall)
- LOCAL ENTREPRENEUR FORUM WARM-UP EVENT (as above) Tuesday 24 February 6.30-8.30 Impact Hub Brixton. Free with food but please sign up here: http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/local-entrepreneur-forum-warm-up-2-tickets-15217642378 We particularly want to see Lambeth residents who can imagine being an investor (not just of money but also skills, expertise, time, facebook clicks, moral support) in the new local economy.
- LOCAL ENTREPRENEUR FORUM, Tuesday 2 June, 2.00-21.30 at Brixton East, 100 Barrington Road, SW9 7JF . Afternoon Community Think Tank on how to build a community supported local economy; evening Community of Dragons where enterprises pitch to everyone and the community pledges support – introduced by Rob Hopkins, founder of the Transition movement. Followed by after party till 11pm. Get your tickets now at www.LambethLEF.eventbrite.co.uk
- Ongoing follow-up and support as pledged by the local community, TTB and partners.
- 2015/16 repeat and improve!
Want to be one of the LAMBETH REconomy enterprises?
- PLEASE CHECK the characteristics of a ‘Transition Enterprise’ to see the kind of enterprise we are trying to support and bring into existence – social, ethical, appropriately local, committed to the area, future-appropriate. Read of some examples of pioneering businesses that are contributing to the local community, the local economy and keeping value local.
- Then fill in the short application form here.
For more details or to talk it over email email@example.com and/or phone/text 07958 635181.
In 2013 Transition Town Brixton published their REconomy reports on the real benefits of localising the food and energy economy in Lambeth. Money that circulates locally does far more good than money that escapes into the shareholder pockets and down the long supply chains of the big corporates. The reports are available here (scroll down) along with a summary report.
In 2014 we have secured some funding for the Lambeth REconomy project to begin to make the vision a reality by incubating and supporting local independent enterprises that support the transition towards a self-reliant, resilient local economy.
The Local Entrepreneurs Forum has been held annually in Totnes for the last 3 years. It is a full day event in May supported by several preparatory networking events. See here for an inspiring 8 minute film about the 2014 LEF, with more detailed information here.