Remade in Brixton
Notes 21 January 2009
Melanin Partnership, 5th Floor, Piano House, Brighton Terrace, London SW9 8DJ
Present Katharina Bielenberg, Mitchell Jacobs, Hannah Lewis, Debora Silva
- Easy point of entry for people not already engaged with TTB.
- Different strands:
- reduction of waste stream â€“ industrial side - arty fun side â€“ clothes, homewares - youth enterprises â€“ e.g. waste oil collection? (see below â€“ issues around restaurant / bar sector)
- What would be repaired / reused? We need to know more about existing services â€“ so we’re not in competition but filling gaps / synergising (e.g. offering further training in different types of repair). Directory research will help with this, + questionnaires to existing repair / reuse businesses. Also need to consider / research what kinds of things are actually repairable.
- ACTION > Hannah to develop Remade in Brixton scoping document. The Repair Centre will be one element within this.
- Something online that people can add to â€“Â Google Map or similar (like Fruit & Nut Map of South London â€“
- Easy quick engagement â€“ people can contribute remotely â€“ build involvement, momentum.
- Businesses offering repair / reuse / recycling services, or taking part in projects, can display a “Remade in Brixton” sticker with tagline and web address â€“ raise profile.
- Questionnaires to businesses â€“ to find out what kind of recycling services they need (focus on restaurant / bar sector to begin with â€“ Mitchell’s network â€“ issues e.g. waste oil), and to find out more about existing services so that Remade can effectively fill gaps / create synergy.
- ACTION > Hannah to set up map
- ACTION > Mitchell to check out costs of sticker printing + web hosting
- ACTION > Towards questionnaire â€“ Mitchell to speak to Philippe of Brixton Green / Katharina to SW9 bar â€“ get idea of questions â€“ how to save businesses money (which could be used to further project) â€“ focus on this sector in central Brixton for “easy win”
- ACTION > Questionnaire up online (once developed by Mitchell and Katharina) â€“ ask others in group to take to other businesses.
- Transition Town Brixton has Â£1000 to distribute to TTB groups for projects in 2009 â€“ proposal deadline 1 Feb.
- ACTION > Hannah to put together proposal for Remade in Brixton stickers (if not too expensive) and website.
- Debora is a film student doing a dissertation on documentaries that can effect change, and interested in making Transition-related films. Also involved with “Food not bombs” movement.
- Mitchell / Mo-Shon have a TV / publishing project in the pipeline under the umbrella of “Green in the City” â€“ focusing on urban green projects â€“ could include something on Remade?