Further to our priority #3, Lambeth is currently consulting on its Sustainability Appraisal (SA) Scoping Report for the new Local Development Framework (the big overarching planning strategy currently in development). The following is from the Planning Department:
”The aim of the SA process is to assess the overall environmental, social and economic impact of development plan documents to ensure that policies contribute towards achieving sustainable development. The process will test the overall strategy and each policy against sustainability objectives.
Scoping forms the initial stage of the SA process and consists of the collection of baseline data and information on other plans, policies and programmes that can have an influence on the production of the LDF. The data collected sets the context for the appraisal and helps to identify the key sustainability issues, objectives and targets for Lambeth and establishes the framework for the SA.
The SA Scoping Report for the Core Strategy, which has been prepared by CAG Consultants and ENVIRON for the London Borough of Lambeth, is now available on the Councilâ€™s website: http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/Services/HousingPlanning/Planning/LocalDevelopmentFramework%28LDF%29â€“SustainabilityAppraisalScopingReportConsultation.htm
We would like to gain a wide range of views on the issues presented as well as the Sustainability Appraisal framework set out in the Scoping Report. While we would welcome your comments on all aspects of the Report, consultees are particularly invited to respond on the following questions:
- In light of the scope of the Local Development Framework, are there any additional relevant strategies, plans, programmes or other policy documents that should be taken into account?
- Are there any other key sources of data or information that are missing?
- Are you aware of any inaccuracies in the baseline data set out in the Report?
- Do you agree with the key sustainability issues that have been identified? Are there any key sustainability issues that are missing, or that need amending?
- What changes, if any, would you like to see to the Sustainability Appraisal Objectives?
- What changes, if any, would you like to see to the Sustainability Appraisal Framework and proposals for its use to assess options?
Comments should be submitted in writing by 5pm Monday 8th December 2008.